Engine Build #1

Back in 2004 I started a 225 engine for the Lowrider. It’s been run in the Lowrider the LI and the GP. It’s currently being set up as a spare for the LI. It’s a V1 Mugello Stage 5 Tuned by Cambridge Lambretta Workshops.

Here’s some pictures of the build.

The polished casing

The Mugello kit after it was tuned.

225a26

A DJ pipe (copy). I sent this to Jahspeed to fit a slip joint

pipe2a5

I tapped out all the threads on the casing before Inserted the studs.

Fitting the mounts by heating the casing first.

Put in the crank and then fitting the front sprocket.

Got this Layshaft from Cambridge Lambretta Workshops. Extremely good quality.

newlayshaft1a4

In went the LI150 Gearbox

gearbox11a4

The clutch in the Mugello 225 was just a standard 4 plate version that never let me down.

clutch1a4

Top end on and setting the correct squish.

topend1a4

This was the engine finished. The DJ copy exhaust eventually disintegrated. I then used a JL3 from Cambridge Lambretta Workshops. I was due to take the exhaust off for an overhaul, but a trip up to North Belfast and some very rough wrecked the u-bend. So I then went on to use a Taffspeed copy. It lasted better, but eventully it cracked around the u-bend.

I’ve no idea how many miles I’ve done, but it’s was used daily and on rideouts and rallies. I’ve just rebuilt it with a AF Race Cassette Clutch and a Stainless Devtour.

eng8_thumb2

lowen1

Save

Save

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s